Since I am working part-time in a famous high street shop here in London, I have been able to analyse from a close point of view the behaviour of the average customer.
I see what people buy most, and what people completely ignore, what people check always out and leave on the table, and what people grab at the very first glance.
I am talking about myself as an outsider because I have never studied merchandising, as well as I have achieved a fashion diploma and I have studied something about it now and then.
This is helping me quite a lot: watching people’s behaviour is teaching me about trends, marketing and what actually people love most! And also another pretty important thing: how to get the best out of any experience!
What do you think people bought more in these Sales?
- DENIM: This is never going to be out of date. People are always orbiting towards and around tables with folded denim pants, and I noticed they’re always choosing the ones with particular features. I work in Zara, and it’s not a denim brand. So I guess that people who wants the classic 501 goes and buy it from Levis, not from Zara. They’re always buying the glittery ones, the faded ones, and the ones with odd prints like paint drippings all over.
- FURRY: This is a real 2011/12 blast. Everyone is attracted by the furry collects, they are always trying those things on, asking about sizes, and asking my opinion as well. Yes, because there’s any chance that a big fuzzy furry coat will NOT look good on you. But it’s like a big cake, everyone want a slice!
- SHEER AND TRANSPARENCIES: Even if it’s only about a part of a shirt, some transparent sleeves, there’s much more chance to be bough compared to a normal shirt. A half sheer dress has 50% more possibilities to be chosen! Sheer it’s a big 2011/12 trend, but female will always be attracted by it, since it’s a clear feminine touch, and a sexy feature to add to your look!
- NAVY, KAKI, CAMEL,WHITE TROUSERS: There’s this table with folded classic women trousers that is always a mess. Everyone comes and unfold them, and barely no one buys them in the end. That’s because they’re hard to match to something you’d wear everyday, and for that reason is not a good Sale item in my opinion. Weird colours, particular shape, thin brown belt…
- STRIPED, OVERSIZE T-SHIRTS: I firmly believe those ones made their time, too. They make you look fat even if you are not, they are not suitable for everyone, and they make you look shorter as well. They can be worn only with leggings or skinny, and not everyone can lightly wear those items. Those shirts are very discounted, folded in piles on a table, and barely touched. A much more lucky end to printed see-through cotton t-shirts: those are a best seller, guess why? The feminine flowery Zara prints hit the point; women, girls and men that make gifts buy them all the time!
Have you had the chance to go shopping in this Sales time? What have you noticed? What WOULD YOU buy? What do you think is not going out of date? Let us know your opinion and start the debate!